- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves
- 16 ounce package frozen bell peppers and onions
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups water
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, undrained
- 8 ounce package jambalaya rice mix (I like using Zataran's lower sodium mix)
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch strips. Place frozen vegetables in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker and top with chicken strips and turkey sausage. Add water, undrained tomatoes, and seasoning packet from rice. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in rice. Cover and cook about 45 minutes more (if using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting), or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Serves 6 with 256 calories each
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Healthy Chicken Jambalaya
You've heard me say it before in other posts...I love the south, especially for the food. But its not always the healthiest cuisine. Here is a recipe I came across for lightened chicken jambalaya for all you southern bells out there (or wannabe's like me).