Friday, September 27, 2013

Successful Meal Planning Strategies

I think we all probably feel the same when it comes to meal planning...overwhelmed. This is one of the most important aspects of fitness and weight loss so you have to get it right! You can do crunches all day long, but if you are not consuming the proper amounts of the right foods, it will not do you a bit of difference. Here are some strategies I have come across in my research that have helped me when it comes to planning out my meals. Hopefully this will make things a little easier for you as well! 

1. Have a snack prepared every 3-4 hours. This will your blood sugar and your metabolism steady, as well as prevent binge eating. I tend to always reach for snacks such as energy bars (choose one that is low in sugar and fat, but has at least 6 grams of protein), strawberries, apple slices, carrot sticks with roasted red pepper hummus, whole-grain crackers with a small amount of sharp cheddar cheese, or a trail mix (usually made up of apple chips, banana chips, raisins and/or dried cranberries, cashews, peanuts, unsalted pretzels, and mini semi sweet or dark chocolate chips). When I come home from the grocery store or I have a day off at the beginning of the week, I spend an hour or two portioning snacks for the week. I will slice up my apples or throw together my trail mix and place them into single portion snack baggies, portion some hummus and carrots into food storage containers, weigh out a couple ounces of cheddar cheese, etc. Having these portioned snacks on hand will allow you to grab and go quickly. Portioning your own snacks also allows you to control what you are consuming in terms of fat, sodium, calories, etc. all while saving you money off of pre-portioned grocery store snack items. 

2. Combine protein (meat, fish, beans, nuts, dairy) with fiber (whole grains, fruits, and vegetables). These two nutrients combined digest very, very slowly in the body. This means you will feel fuller, longer! Do this at every meal! To do this, try making a salad with lean cuts of steak, turkey, or chicken, combined with black beans, garbanzo beans, green peppers, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, etc. When I'm craving comfort food, I love to prepare some Alfredo using whole-grain noodles, a light sauce prepared from Greek Yogurt (there's your protein- I'll be sure to post the recipe soon), green peas, matchstick carrots, broccoli, and salmon. 

3. Make sure you are consuming enough water. Many doctors recommend starting your day off with a glass or two. Even before you hit up the tea or coffee, you should be reaching for a glass of high quality H2O. 

4. Find out just how many calories you should be consuming and plan your meals and snacks around it. Finding out how many calories you need is simple using the Harris-Benedict Equation. BMR= 655+(4.35 x weight in pounds)+(4.7 x height in inches)-(4.7 x age in years). Just plug in your height, weight, and age. 

For example: 655+(4.35 x 250 pounds)+(4.7 x 64 inches)-(4.7 x 23 years)=

655+1087.5+300.8-108.1= 1875.2 calories needed in order to lose weight while still getting enough



If I find anymore good tips, I will be sure to add them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment