Friday, September 27, 2013

Slow Cooker Quinoa Chili

I have yet to try this one out, but it looks so tasty. With the colder weather just around the corner, I decided to go ahead and post the recipe for you all to try. Be sure to leave your comments and suggestions below! 

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 4-ounce can diced mild green chiles
1 cup frozen corn
2-3 cups vegetable broth (use the higher amount if your crockpot runs hot or you'll be cooking it longer than about 6 hours)
1/2 red onion, diced
1 bell pepper (I used red), diced
2 teaspoons garlic powder (I used garlic salt because my beans weren't cooked in any salt)
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed throughly

Combine all ingredients (except the toppings, obviously) in a crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Stir to combine, salt and pepper to taste, and serve with your choice of toppings (guacamole, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream or non-fat plain Greek yogurt, lime wedges, etc).


Sometimes if I have leftover ground turkey I will add it too! It packs an additional punch of both protein and flavor in this stick to your ribs dinner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment