Wednesday, September 25, 2013

BBQ Salmon

Thomas and I both love salmon, but we hate how salty and calorie-packed it can be when you order it from a restaurant. When I found out that ALDI (our local discount grocery store) sells wild caught salmon fillets for $4.99 for 4 individually packaged fillets, I began stocking up and experimenting with different ways to prepare salmon at home. Last night I decided to attempt a BBQ salmon and the results were amazing! 

I just threw together a quick marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, ketchup, BBQ sauce, and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. I'm not sure the amounts I used because I just sort of threw it together, but if I had to guess I would say 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of ketchup, 1 cup of BBQ sauce, 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, and just a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. I just poured ingredients into the bottom of a glass baking dish and whisked them together with a fork. I seasoned my salmon fillets with ground black pepper and then placed them in the marinade, spooning a little of the marinade onto the top of each fillet. Bake the salmon in a 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes. 

This experiment yielded very tasty results! My fiance and I both gobbled up this salmon! The BBQ glaze somewhat caramelizes on top of the salmon fillets and the flavor of the BBQ sauce and garlic penetrates the fish. I served the salmon with brown rice and steamed broccoli.  It looks like a huge portion in the picture, but I promise you I was using a small salad plate opposed to a larger dinner plate.

  Tip: If you can purchase your salmon fillets in individually vacuum-sealed packages, do it! I love having these on hand. I can make two meals out of a single package of salmon by pulling out fillets two at a time, or, I can also pull out all four salmon fillets and pack the leftovers as lunch for Thomas and me for the next day. That is exactly what I did with this BBQ salmon recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment