Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Greek Yogurt Praise

Any chance I get to swap out ingredients in a recipe to make all of my favorite dishes a little healthier... I'm game! 

If you have not heard about the Greek yogurt craze, I am surprised. IT IS EVERYWHERE! When I heard this thick and creamy protein packed yogurt could be used in place of items such as butter, sour cream, heavy cream, and cream cheese, I knew I had to try it. I am a sucker for Mexican food and I love sour cream! 

The first brand I tried (because I had a coupon) was the Yoplait Greek 100. 
 This brand is great, but it still has a yogurt taste to it, therefore, my fiance would not touch it. 

The first thing I made to use my Greek yogurt was chicken fajitas, thinking I would just top them with yogurt instead of sour cream. However, because it still tasted like yogurt I had to mix it with salsa before my fiance would eat it. 

The second brand I tried (again, because I had a coupon) was the Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt. 
This is now the only brand of Greek yogurt I will purchase! It is thick, creamy, non-fat, delicious, and tastes exactly like sour cream! I made dinner two weeks ago for my fiance and his dad. My soon to be father-in-law is diabetic and has high blood pressure so I decided to make chicken fajitas using white meat chicken (seasoned with a salt free mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper), sauteed onions and bell peppers, black beans, and low-carb tortillas. I topped the fajitas with chunky salsa, lettuce, and Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt, and served the fajitas with a size of refried beans. My father-in-law took a bite and said, "Wow, what kind of sour cream is this?" I smirked at my fiance and replied, "Its actually non-fat plain Greek yogurt." The reaction was amazing! I have also used this to make a lighter version of Zuppa Toscana (check out my blog for the recipe). 

Greek yogurt can be expensive so I usually stock up when I have coupons. I began to find that I was not using my Greek yogurt before the expiration date. In order to save money I started freezing the yogurt. As long as you keep it cold and defrost it completely before using, it tastes just as awesome as freshly bought yogurt! Now I really stock up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment