Thursday, September 27, 2012

Small Changes to take off BIG POUNDS

In sticking with the theme of losing weight quickly over the next month, I want to share this article I found in Prevention. The article focuses on small changes you can make to shred big pounds without really changing your exercise routine. Between a full-time school schedule and my work schedule, I can hardly find time to work out as it is! 

1. Start journaling if you have not done so already- Its super easy to lose track of what you've consumed over the course of 24 hours. Studies show that those who journal everything they put in their mouths are more likely to stay too to recommended portions. Personally, I'm so bad at portion control! 

2. Workout on Commercial breaks- This is so much fun! Check out my post on commercial break workouts! During a typical two hour TV night this could equal up to 270 calories which can add up to 28 pounds in a year!

3.  Limit consumption to high-fat foods to once a week- Top 5 that we usually consume are cookies, candy, ice cream, potato chips, and fries. If you typically consume these on a daily basis, try downshifting a day each week until you no longer crave these foods. 

4. Subscribe to a healthy newsletter- I get Prevention (how I found this article). WebMD and SparksPeople also have great weight loss newsletters that give you everything from fitness tips and workout equipment reviews to recipes and daily logging reminders. 

5. Walk 5 minutes more every day- I started parking farther away at school so I get more walking in. I already walked roughly a half mile from where I park to where my classes are held, but now I park almost a whole mile away. I also never take the elevator. Do this and you could lose an additional 12 pounds each year!

6. Strength train in mini bursts- Exercises like squats and push ups are a simple way to rev up your metabolism. 

7. Climb 3 extra flights of stairs per day- This is super easy when you go to SIUE. It also helps that my room is in the basement, and my boyfriend's apartment is on the third floor of his building! 

8. Take a pedometer with you everywhere you go- Research shows those who use a pedometer walk an average of 2,500 more steps per day. That's over one mile and about 100 calories! Over the course of a year, this could easily add up to 10 pounds!

9. Brown bag it at least once per week- Trade in your fast food lunch for a homemade option at least once each week. When you make your own food, you are not only in control of what goes into your lunch and your portion, but you also tend to consume less sugar, sodium, and fat. Not to mention a lunch from home typically costs a lot less than any fast food option and I'm all about saving money! 

10. Follow the 1 mile rule- if your errand is 1 mile away or less, walk instead of drive.

11. Take 10 minutes to enjoy your treat- Cut down on cravings by taking the time to savor your treat! Drink your frappuccino slower, enjoy that cupcake or cookie bite-for-bite, etc. Move it around your mouth slowly while focusing on the flavors and textures. After swallowing, ask yourself if you want another bite or it you're satisfied. Aim to chew each bite at least 20 times. 

12. Eat fruit, don't drink it- AKA skip the fruit juice and eat the fruit instead! This is a great way to not only cut back on calories, but sugar as well. Not to mention you'll be getting more fiber! You consume an average of 48% more calories by drinking fruit juice than simply consuming fruit. 

13. Enlist a friend for moral support- This works best if your friend is trying to lose as well. 

14. Drink your coffee the old school way- If you're like me an can't handle black, add a splash of skim milk and a tiny bit of sweetener (I usually use Truvia). Stay away from the calorie loaded whole milk drown chain coffee drinks. 

15. Make sure you get enough sleep- I'm so bad at this being a working college student! I have noticed, however, that when I do get at least 8 hours of sleep per night I am more likely to work out that day for obvious reasons. My blood pressure also seems to be lower when I feel rested. 


No comments:

Post a Comment